Monday, October 3, 2011

Fall Crafts


I’ve been working on some inexpensive DIY crafts that you can do with your kids to get them involved in your fall decorating.
The first project is very simple and inexpensive. I found some stickers and appliqués from Michael’s on clearance and applied them to some votive candles that I used at my wedding. I knew there was a reason I kept those!
Supplies:
Votives: $0
Leaf Stickers - $.89
Fall Sticker - $1.50
Orange Appliqués - $1.50

Total:  $3.89
My second project was a Thankful banner to add to my mantel. I have difficulty with scissors because I’m a lefty but I did learn a valuable lesson. Never give up on something when it doesn’t look the way you pictured it in your mind. Follow through till the end and then decide.  I was so obsessed with each letter and making sure that each paper cut out matched the previous one that I just wanted to crumble the paper and forget I even started!

Supplies:
Decorative Scissors – $1.99
Glue - $0
Hole Puncher - $1.99
Glitter - $1.79
Ribbon - $.99
Scrap Paper – 5 pieces of solid color .59 a piece and 4 pieces of pattern .59 a piece
Package of Cardboard letters - $4.99 (You can cut out your own letters to save money but you wouldn’t have been able to recognize my letters. That bad!)
Total:  $17.06
Steps:
1.       I used the box that the cardboard letters came in to trace the shape for the brown scrap paper. I cut them with the decorative scissors.

2.       I used the plastic packaged that held the cardboard letters to trace the shape for the designed scrap paper. I cut them with the decorative scissors.


3.       I attached the cutouts together with glue and then punched a hole near the top.
4.       I took the cardboard letters, applied glue and then sprinkled the glitter on them. I let dry for about 5 minutes and then I attached them to the scrap paper.

5.       I laid them on the floor and attached them together with the ribbon. I tied a bow to secure them to each letter.
It took me about 2 hours to complete and I could have completed faster had I let go of my OCD tendencies.



For the third project I took my daughter for a walk and we picked fall leaves.  It was so much fun! I took the leaves she picked and placed them in a frame I had to showcase them. Simple and Sentimental.


I think these are great craft projects to do with your children that will add a personal touch to your home and  bring lasting memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment