Thursday, September 29, 2011

DIY Fall Wreath


I’m not sure about you but I love how a wreath sets the stage for your seasonal décor. It’s the first impression to someone’s house to me. It’s like a sneak peek of the person’s style. Do they have simple, contemporary, elegant or traditional style? Maybe I’m just nosey J.
Wreath’s can be very expensive and I usually like the ones I can’t afford. Typical!
My goal for this week was to create a couple different wreaths and to discover the most cost effective ones by figuring the costs of supplies, time it takes to make and how the final product looks.

I stumbled upon an idea for my first wreath while shopping for another project. The branch type wreath immediately caught my eye. I pictured adding the pretty flower that I used on the velvet pumpkins and some sparkly butterflies. I love butterflies!!
Supplies:



I got too excited with the butterflies and forgot to take a picture before I used them. Opps! They cost $6.99 for a set of 8 and I used them for both wreaths.
Steps:
1.       Pull apart the flower, beads and leaves so each piece is separate.
2.       Lay out the design you would like.
3.       Once you are happy with the layout secure with a hot glue gun.


It’s that easy! It took me 5 minutes and the whole project cost me $9.99 plus tax J!

The second wreath I attempted was a little for time consuming. It took about 3 hours. I got the idea from another blog I follow and wanted to recreate it. I changed up the colors and finish product to add my own twist to it.
Supplies:




Steps:
1.       Spray a coat of the base color to the first side of the foam wreath.
2.       Let it dry for about 20 minutes and apply a coat to other side.
3.       Repeat steps one and two for adding the gold glitter and allow to dry for an hour.


4.       Start placing the beads in a pattern that works for you while leaving a 3 inch space for the ribbon at the top. I started in the middle and went about 6 inches in a horizontal direction. Once I achieved a somewhat straight line I would start filing in the area with the beads using a hot glue gun and continue the same process until complete. I left an opening at the top to add ribbon.  Some would probably have started with placing the ribbon but I needed to see the final product before selecting the right ribbon. Call me crazy!



5.       It took me about 2 hours to complete and I let it sit over night.
      6.       I finished the next morning by securing the ribbon and adding beads over the ribbon.


I ran into a couple of issues with this project. I had several beads fall off over night. It was very frustrating because I don’t know why they weren’t sticking. I used a generous amount of glue. The wreath is very bulky and took too long to create in my opinion. I felt that the effort I put into the project didn’t show through in the final result. The total cost for this wreath was $23.04 plus tax. It’s still cheaper than most store bought projects but looks cheaper than the first wreath to me.

What’s your thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment